Friday, March 27, 2009

Packing a Diver's First Aid Kit

So I'm packing for Belize, and I'm not going to get caught in a foreign country without an adequate supply of medications and first aid stuff this time. I'm getting together some items for my kit, and I'd love your input.

My first stop on the Internet was DAN - Divers Alert Network - to see if they had any helpful suggestions, and of course, they did. They emphasize the importance of protecting yourself from malaria, so the first thing to go into my bag is going to be mosquito repellant.

Here's my list so far:
Mosquito Repellant
Calamine Lotion
Benadryl
Hydrocortisone Cream
Dramamine
Motrin
Decongestant
Nose Spray
Band aids
Neosporin

DAN lists the various potential concerns with medications here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=84

Does anyone have any further suggestions?
Thanks!
Hugs and fishes,
Jenny

1 comment:

Diver Daisy said...

I also take some kind of bee sting relief, like Sting Rid (that stuff is great). Don't forget something for swimmer's ear. And in the past it has come in handy that I had Orajel (I got sores in my mouth from using a borrowed regulator that I wasn't used to) and some kind of dental temporary fixer-upper (I chipped a tooth once on vacation and was glad I had it) You also might look into getting that liquid bandaid stuff (it comes in a bottle like nail polish) It keeps stuff out and doesn't come off in the water like a bandaid. As you can tell, I like to go on vacation prepared. I am also very clutzy and a magnet for injuries :)